Sunday 20 May 2018

Simon Barton's pre-trip thoughts.........



When the business went out to our colleagues three or so years ago asking for ideas and suggestions for charities or projects we could support, I don’t think any of us thought it would lead to something that would see thirty plus colleagues going to Malawi building houses for the most poor and vulnerable children and providing so much valuable support for the wider community.  The impact this has had on both the people who have received this support and our colleagues who have worked with these communities has been life changing. 

I have watched this partnership with Habitat for Humanity develop and each year thought ‘I want to be a part of this’, but each year either work or family commitments have got in the way. This year I was determined to put my name forward, even though it is slap bang in the middle of both my son’s A level and GCSE exams, in fact it was my family who really pushed me to commit to going and now we are only a couple of weeks away I am feeling excited and slightly nervous at the same time.

I am really looking forward to visiting some of the homes we have already built and meeting those families and we will also get the opportunity to visit the new nursery being built with the funds raised by John Midgley’s retirement challenge.

My DIY/building skills are legendary in that they are non-existence so hopefully we will get some good on the job training and the 2018 Malawi team can continue the fantastic work already completed by the 2016 and 2017 teams.

We will do regular blog updates, given the limited internet and WIFI access, so keep watching this space to see how we are getting on.





No comments:

Post a Comment