Monday 3 July 2017

Following being home, from one of the team


Malawi on my mind - so difficult to come home and switch off.  Still processing what we achieved in such a short space of time.  However, I think we all felt that we had much more to give. 

Also thinking about what we saw - very upsetting to witness first hand, poverty on such a large scale. I can't emphasise enough that what appears to be a simple life, is actually a life full of hardship, with many obstacles; namely death, disease and food shortages. The fact that a young man passed away while we were there really brought this point home.
Despite this, there is a real sense of community, people coming together to support each other - We met Martha, a young mother to eight children, who has received one of our previous builds.  Three of her children are inherited from her sister. Malawi has well over a million orphans, linked to parent deaths or extreme poverty, and while some are traditionally absorbed into extended families, sadly others are forced into orphanages, away from their communities.

I also observed a community that is surprisingly upbeat and resilient. I truly admire their tenacity, but I wonder if they have any other choice!



I do feel fortunate to have been part of a project that is working to lift more vunerable families out of extreme situations. Afterall, it's human nature to want to help. Is it enough? No, but it will make a dramatic and positive difference to those individual families.  I only hope I can inspire others to do the same thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment